Reminiscing October 2013...
My class at the Tropical Spice Garden Cooking School at Penang, Malaysia turned out AMAZING! The school was very professional and very organized. I got to try making fried chicken and rice with delicious exotic spices! They also have a store where you can shop for all kinds of spices. The class started with a very informative tour of the spice garden, then we proceeded to the kitchen for the class itself. Each one had his own station complete with all the ingredients and utensils. There were some assistants around, so the class went smoothly! The best part: we got to eat what we cooked! Check out some of my photos below. It was well worth the 220 RM I paid for the class!
Rohana's Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice)
· 100 grams chicken, finely chopped
· 2 to 3 pieces prawns
· 1 piece egg
· 2 tablespoons peanut oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· A dash ground black pepper
· 1 piece fresh chili,sliced
· 1 small piece carrot,chopped
· 2 tablespoons frozen peas
· 1 tablespoon soya sauce
· 1 tablespoon fish sauce
· 1 cup cooked rice (preferably cooked the day before and refrigerated)
· 1 to 2 pieces lettuce leaves for garnishing
1. Heat oil in wok.
2. Fry the onions, then add the chicken and carrots.
3. When chicken is half cooked, add in the prawns and peas.
4. Add the rice, soya sauce and chili.
5. Make a well in the center of the rice, then put in the beaten egg, mix thoroughly.
6. Garnish with lettuce.
Deep Fried Chicken (Ayam Goreng Berempah)
· 1 piece of chicken leg and thigh
· 1 stalk lemongrass
· 1/4 inch ginger
· 1/4 inch galangal
· 1/2 tablespoon coriander
· 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
· 1 piece candlenut (or macadamia nuts)
· 1 clove garlic
· 1/4 teaspoon pepper
· 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
· to taste salt
1. Blend all ingredients except chicken.
2. Massage the spices on the chicken.
3. Marinate for about four hours (we just marinated our chicken for around 30 minutes and they came out very tasty!)
4. Deep fry the chicken.