Today is a FRIDAY NIGHT-IN (versus a night out!) for my husband and I, therefore, I need to make something with a WOW factor. I thought of doing a beef stew minus the tomato sauce for my hubby who's a meat-lover. So, I went out with my dog and got a bottle of a local dark beer, Cervesa Negra in lieu of the tomato sauce. Well, it turned out superbly well! Both my husband and I got some second helpings of it!
Slow-Cooker Beef Stew
- 3/4 kilo beef cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pieces medium carrots,sliced
- 4 pieces medium potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package Lipton Onion-Mushroom Recipe Soup & Dip Mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 pieces medium onions,sliced
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- Boil 2 cups water and mix in the soup mix. (See photo in the Gotta-Taste-Ingredients page). Set aside.
- Assemble the potatoes and carrots in the slow-cooker.
- On a platter, mix flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the meat and brown all sides in a pan of olive oil. Remove meat and put them in the slow cooker.
- Add the parsley.
- Pour the soup mix mixture into the cooker.
- Use the pan where you browned the meat to caramelize the onions. Transfer the caramelized onions to the slow cooker.
- Add the beer to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours in high setting.